Monday, June 14, 2010

Raduno 2010: Monday 7th June

The plan was to fly two legs today, the first from Gloucester to LeTouquet (to clear customs), then from Le Touquet to Troyes, to stay overnight in Troyes. The route for the first leg was very simple.

EGBJ DCT GWC DCT SFD DCT LFAT

Well that is exactly what happened.

Loaded up at Gloucester, filed a flight plan and had previously filed the GAR. Filled the plane to the correct fuel level for our weight and balance and took off in OK weather. Climbed to 2000’ and plodded the familiar route direct from EGBJ to the GWC VOR at Goodwood airfield. Called Brize Radar for basic service and went overhead Fairford (inactive as usual). Transferred to Farnboro Radar at Membury and stayed with them until passed GWC.

Scud running in the UK
2000' scraping my head on the clouds in the UK

Managed 2000’ close to base of clouds all the way. Along the coast the clouds disappeared and I climbed to 4500’ going along passed Brighton towards SFD VOR for the channel crossing. Blue skies all over the channel and a very good horizon for a change.

Unusual cross channel weather
Unusual 'severe VFR' in the channel!

Crossing was easy and picked up first Lille Information, then of course Le Touquet Tower.

There was some quite low cloud / lifted fog literally along the coast at Le Touquet and the wind was a perfect crosswind at 250 / 10kts. They were not at all busy on a Monday and said that although the ATIS runway in use was 32, I could use 14 as the headwind component was much the same on either. So got a long direct into runway 14. I had to descend to below 700’ before I got below this low cloud, the scuttled into final for 14. I could feel the crosswind and held approach track, at least it wasn’t gusting. I was ready for the crosswind landing and did a reasonable job of it and parked up. Clocked up a logged 1.7 hours flying on this leg.

Mazzie at L2K
Mazzie at Le Touquet airfield

Off with the cross-channel gear and popped into the very good airfield restaurant for a coffee and a croissant. Refuelled, paid the bill, and turned around in about 1:15. Fuel was a not unreasonable EUR 1.85 a litre. Given that we are paying GBP 1.78 a litre at Gloucester.....

L2K Airfield
Le Touquet airfield from the air

The last leg for the day was again simple and to make it to Troyes.

LFAT DCT CTL DCT LFQB

The low cloud bothered me a bit, but I got the METAR’s and TAF’s for Troyes and they were much more encouraging. The cloud at L2K seemed to have lifted a bit as well and of course the coast is normally worse that either out to sea or inland, so decided to fly as it would also be easy to get VFR above the cloud in sight of ground.

We took off and climbed initially to 2000’, then later to 3000’ and stayed there just below scattered 'fair weather' CU all the way. A nice easy run to Troyes, talking to various French ‘Information’ radio centres for flight information service along then way. Always given a squawk and occasional traffic reports. Flying in France is very easy like this compared to the UK.

The scenery on the ground is very much a patchwork of forests and strip type farming field layouts that make for an interesting patchwork as they slide by beneath you.

FGrench strip farming
French strip type fields

Spotted Troyes and contacted the Tower there. There were very happy for me to join as I wished, although I mistakenly joined for a left downwind join for runway 17 rather than the published right hand circuit.

Troyes Airfield
Troyes airfield from the air

They were not at all bothered though. Wind was given as 240/05, so no real crosswind to worry about and made an easy landing. Asked for a granted a backtrack and I was happily trundling back along the runway to the taxiway for the terminal when I spotted a crank-wing Robin on very short final heading towards me. I did not hear any earlier call to clear him to land, either in English or French (which I have a vague understanding of aviation terms). I called out on the radio in English that I was on the runway and that he must go around immediately – it was my life here and the Controller didn’t seem to be doing much! The plane went around to my relief. Yet another example I guess of the consequences of using mixed languages at an airfield giving rise to a lack of situational awareness.

Refuelled immediately for a quicker getaway. I struggled badly with the automated refuelling pumps and credit card machine and the reception guys took pity and announced over an intercom that I could pay later and turned the pumps on for me.

Troyes Airfield
Troyes airfield

I fuelled up then moved the plan to parking where they told me. They assured me there were tie downs. I parked up and shut down, but for the life of me I couldn’t find the ties downs they referred to, all I could see were a few obvious drain-hole inspection covers. Someone obviously spotted my strange behaviour and came out and lifted one of the ‘drain covers’ to reveal a hollow where chains and rope are stored and anchored for tie downs – DOH! Well, I can’t say I have seen it done like that before. I secured the plane as we unpacked and headed to reception.

Reception was excellent. Very new, very well organised and even though the guy there genuinely spoke almost no English, we managed with my appalling French to tell him what we were doing and order a taxi. I had previously booked a cheap Etap Hotel in Troyes town centre as I find the Accor Hotel chain excellent for internet booking AND you can cancel same day – vital for a VFR pilot (as it turned out).

Troyes town centre
The quite lovely town centre in Troyes

Troyes as a town is really lovely. It is the French equivalent to loads of Tudor timbered buildings in an old walled town. Only a couple of the gates still stand of the walls, but most of the building survive with narrow streets and extensive pedestrian streets. It really is a great place to stay, even if just for one night. Really, do NOT make the mistake of booking into the Novotel that you can walk to from the airport. Stump up the EUR 20 taxi fare and make it into this lovely town!