Sunday, April 08, 2007

Solo in the Bonanza

The weekend of 31st March, after I got back from Canada, I took the Bonanza up for my first solo circuits. The weather looked good, if 'high pressure claggy' and a bit breezy. When I got to the airfield, the windsock was hanging on for dear life, with the tower giving 25G33, albeit pretty much straight down runway 04.

In one of my poorer decisions, I decided on a few circuits and booked out. Probably not my finest decision as once I was up, the visibility was pretty poor and the wind was pretty bouncy.

First circuit was great, I thought I had shot past the runway, so cranked the plane around and lined up and called final, only to be told by ATC that I was final on 09 and should go around - DRAT! - I haven't done that since I was a stude! How embarassing!

Well, the next three touch and gos were OK, probably good given the conritions, but a bit of a challenge controlling the aircraft on approach in the gusty wind conditions.

On the third circuit, I decided I wasn't learning anything so opted to cut it short and land. What I really need is a fine day so I can cement my landing techniques, not a gusty day where I am not certain what is me and what is the wind. So I booked the plane for a half days general handling and circuits for the easter weekend.

The day was Sunday the 8th. I decided to go to the airfield early for a very leisurely walk-around and a sit in the plane just cementing in the controls so everything fell to hand. Well, it sort of worked out that way, but it took me and one other volunteer about 40 minutes playing the hangar shuffle to get my plane (at the back again of course) out and the others back. It is a tight hangar and I am very keen not to inflict 'hangar rash' on any aircraft. I am keen on treating other peoples aircraft as I would handle my own.

I bought Pilot Magazine and saw that there were free landing vouchers for both Enstone and Kemble. So why not fly to Enstone for a free landing them back for another at Gloucester. I booked out for general handling around Malvern then en-route to Enstone.

I was a lot happier with the start up and taxy and taxied to the pumps. But the fuel keys were missing, so out with the fire crew to fuel the plane. Power checks were fine and I lined up after a landing aircraft on 22 cleared for take-off. Take-off was good, I am getting used to the heavier nose left action and the quicker acceleration. In no time I was rotating at 65 and climbing at a sprightly 1300 fpm!

Routed to Malvern and at 3700' played leaned her out and played with the straight and level picture, different power settings and turns of varying degrees of steepness. I called Gloucester for a QSY to Enstone and set course. I tuned to Enstone and heard him tell another inbound aircraft that there was a Luscombe fly-in at Enstone today. I didn't think they would welcome a Bonanza skittling around their circuit full of sedate taildraggers, so where else could I go? I know, freebie to Kemble! So set course.

Called them up and while a bit busy, they weren't manic. The lateral visibility was pretty poor and although I knew where to look, no joy at 8 miles. Then counted the miles off - 7, 6, 5, 4 - where the hell is it? At about 3.5nm, I spotted the 747's and hangars - geeze, this vis is pretty cr*ppy!

I decided on a standard overhead join for 26 with left hand circuits. Slotted in nicely and got the speed under control and dropped the wheels downwind. Avoided the noise sensitive areas and cranked flaps and MP to low turning base. Lined up on 26 and it was looking good at the prescribed 80kts. Held that nicely, finals check, Red / Green / Blue (looks at uniformly ivory coloured controls and chuckles to himself!). Remember what Chris showed you, power to idle at the start of the roundout and hold off, off, off and get the stall warner blaring - it won't drop out of the sky like the slab-wing Arrow 200. Just start the round-out, power off. Fly her down, now hold off - try hard not to land. Back, back, back - stall warner chirps, back, back stall warner blaring and we touch - wow, nice one - pleased with that!

Not a greaser, not a true greaser, but good and the way it should be. Greasers are as rare as hens teeth. I had a chat recently with another pilot who said 'I THINK I have had some greasers' and I hope I didn't offend him when I said 'If you only THINK you have, then you haven't'. I have only ever had two, both flukes of course. They were so smooth I was confused why we were flying so slow in the hold-off until I realised that we had touched down without feeling it! Fortunately, one was with an instructor, so it was independently verified!

Anyway, Kemble was lovely in the sunshine. The AV8 was doing a brisk trade and I am plased to report and excellent experience there. Service was fast and they do both quick 'pilot' food and freshly prepared 'full service' food.

Kemble and a busy AV8 restaurant

They were happy with the free landing voucher and told me that the airfield was currently served with an enforecement notice to close in November - all because of on NIMBY who himself if an ex-airline pilot! I was happy to sign the petition and advised them to start an electronic on on the 'Number 10' PM website.

While sitting out on the sun deck in the lovely weather, we were treated to a Yak ‘beating the place up’ with low runs over the runway with zoom climbs and aerobatics at the top. I tried to get a photograph, but the auto-focus wouldn’t play until it was too late. One miserable git was mumbling ‘You should send that photo to the CAA what he is doing is dangerous and illegal……should be prosecuted…..mumble’. I commented that it wasn’t illegal and he was having fun and asked what his problem was. As he was drinking beer, it would safe to assume he wasn’t a visiting pilot – maybe Mr NIMBY himself???

Reluctantly decided to saddle up and go. Started up, did power checks then quickly given take off clearance. Take off was fine with the usual spirited rate of climb. I set track for the Malverns and decided to climb to above the inversion layer. I was above it by about 4500’, but continued to 5500’ to admire the light cumulus. A bit more general handling with cruise climbs, reset and trim for straight and level then level turns.

Nice inversion layer

Eventually called for a rejoin at Gloucester who were surprisingly quiet as they offered a direct to right base for 27.

Gotta go down sometime!

I took them up on this and reported at three miles. Manifold pressure back to approach settings, gear down starting base which helped reduce the speed and pulled flaps on. Prop fully fine, then ‘Red / Green / Blue’ check. Turned final over the doughnut and a bit high, but nothing to worry about. Power back, airspeed pegged to 80 kts, now full flap. Approach looking good, power back some more, over the fence, over the displaced threshold, power to idle. Round out and start the flare. Flare going well, bit of a chirp from the stall warner and we touch, a bit early as I misjudged the height by a foot or two, so not fully stalled, but getting there and with a decent attitude and smooth touch down. A bit of light braking and I make the first intersection for turn-off, so must have been a reasonable landing.

I think I am getting the hang of the Bonanza now. What I need now is a decent landaway, maybe a trip to one of the French channel towns with the wife.