Sunday, September 04, 2005

Back to the skies!

Well, the AAIB and insurance stuff is still going through on poor old G-OFLG. But in the meantime, there is great weather and flying to be done, so it is back to the 'full club rental' route.

This time I decided to switch allegiances from Aeros at Gloucester to Cotswold Aero Club next door. Most of the other part owners of G-OFLG trained at Cotswold, plus I liked their Arrow 2 (rather than Aero's Arrow 4 with the dreaded 'T-tail'), so I put myself down for some training and retractable gear sign off just in time for Cotswold to put the Arrow 2 in for the annual! Well, I managed a low level bad weather trip for half an hour at the end of July just before the annual, with this being my next trip.

Cotswold's Arrow 2

Anyway, finally back from the annual this week and I had some time on Sunday, so got the two together and had a check ride with the CFI, Phil Mathews.

At 10:30 on Sunday, it was hot and clear skies, but very murky with lateral visibility given as 4000m. After flapping about learning the intracacies of starting an injected engine both hot and cold and in between etc. got airborne and headed north for some general handling. I am still mentally attuned to hearing my old callsign of G-OFLG so I missed the call to G-OMNI and was just wondering who the idiot was in that aircraft that was not replying when Phil asked if I was going to answer the call! DOH!

Got above the murk at 3000', did a few turns, trimming and various power settings etc. Played with gear extension and the pitch changes to be prepared for, then good old Phil decides what I really need is a touch and go at Croft Farm (Defford) with its 570m grass runway - thanks Phil! - no pressure then!!

Managed the T&G - a lot of fun in the murk. The Arrow shows good short strip capability.

After a bit more fun, we head back to Gloucester with me trying to slow the plane up so it doesn't get ahead of me - this is quick compared to the TB10! Of course on the way in I get mixed up again with callsigns and I start calling myself G-OFLG - I think the tower were cutting me some slack. I join the circuit for 09 Left hand circuits with a standard overhead join. Did one touch and go and got a demo about holding it off in the flare for longer for my pains - the TB10 didn't have anywhere near as much 'float' as this - when the TB wanted to land, it landed! So mentally switched back into PA28 mode (as I trained on them) and vowed to do better next time.

Second circuit was to land. Turned in close on base as another aircraft was close behind and left myself high, but I was impressed how quickly the height can bleed off with the gear down, full flaps and the engine on idle! Re-established the glideslope and came in for a much better hold off landing - ah yes, I remember those from the PA28's!

Back to the hangar and another chat about gear emergencies and starting the engine in various states of warm / cold / flood etc.

Back to the clubhouse and £200 lighter (incl. 6 months membership - ah the joys of club flying!) and I am now signed off for G-OMNI and retractable gear.

What do I think about the Arrow 2? Well, it feels and looks more agricultural than the TB but then it would as it is an earlier generation. I still don't like one door, but at least the wing is on the right way around.

BUT - on the plus side. It is a lot faster with the retractable gear and 200hp engine - giving 130 kts against the TB10's 105 / 110 kts for pretty much the same fuel burn per hour (about 40 litres). The Arrow climbs much better, can lift 100 lbs more load on full fuel and is an easily maintained 'mainstream' aircraft. I have to say while it does not look as pretty as a TB10, I prefer it, as it is a far more capable tourer and would cost about the same to run in a group.

So for now I am stuck with 'clubbing it' until the insurance is sorted out and if the group agrees, to go again as a group and hopefully buy a nice Arrow 2 or 3.

No comments: