Saturday, July 09, 2005

Flyer Forum Golf Day

As a regular user of a virtual flying club called Flyer Forum, a fly in was proposed to North Weald for Sad Forumites to indulge two passions at one - flying and golf! Why not I thought. I haven't played a single round since 2002 and before that no regular play since 1990! I was assured that they were all fellow 100+ hackers so I should fit right in!

The date was Friday 8th July. Oh! I was down to run in a five mile road race against a fellow shareholder in the plane with a serious meal out riding on the outcome the previous evening - so was flying the next morning to play 18 holes of golf with a flight back such a good idea? No - but lets do it anyway!

Of course you dread taking a days holiday since you will be asked at work 'Are you doing anything nice?' to which you reply 'Yes - I am flying to North London to play golf' - just watch to look on their face as they hastily change the subject and figure you must be being paid waaaayyyyy too much!

The weather in the morning at Gloucester was scattered cloud but lots of warm, sunny bits and what low cloud there was seemed likely to lift into nice puffy 'fair weather cumulus'. My early start was disrupted by the AVGAS tanks being refilled and having to wait 20 minutes for it to settle and the firecrew to test each pump before I could fuel. So I set out later than planned at 09:35 for the hours run to North Weald.

As I passed Bovingdon VOR now at 2300', I could see 'clag' ahead. This didn't worry me as I had to descend to 1400' anyway to dip under the Stansted zoen to get into North Weald. Joined left base for 02 at North Weald and parked up outside 'The Squadron' at 10:40ish.

The Squadron at North Weald airfield

Of course, no golfers there! After asking about a bit and trying to ring Johnny - still no joy. Wondering what to do next, a taxi appeared, so I collared him and drove around to North Weald Golf Club. Got there about 11:15 and asked at the bar about a group of flyers and was directed to the third tee. Charged over there, spotted 'Johnny' who I recognised and introduced myself and made the foursome up to a fivesome!

Roy S and Johnny take their exercise seriously

As this is a flying diary, I won't overdo the golf bit, but suffice to say we were all hackers, me somewhat more so - but not too awful - a couple of bogeys and no hole more than 10 shotted! My drive of the day saw the ball trickle two feet to come to rest between my feet!

The weather at North Weald was in marked contrast to Gloucester with low clag and rain. But if did improve a bit towards the end of the day and as I had to make a low level scuttle out at 1400' anyway, it didn't bother me.

A huge Avenger being serviced in one of the hangars

Scuttled off at about 17:00 keeping below Stansted and London and the further west I got, the more the cloud lifted abnd broke. By Oxford way I was up at 3000' and a happy bunny! Brize Radar were very good this time and gave me a zone transit so I could stay clear of Oxford Kidlington. Back to Gloucester to land on my least favourite runway 36.

A good day out nearly ruined by the great British weather. Oh - and what a nice but under-utilised airfield North Weald is. Hope it survives the current planning discussions going on.

No comments: