Saturday, September 12, 2009

Gloucester to Lydd

I was planning to go to the Flyer Forum fly-in at Wellesborne, but with the day as excellent as it was promised, I switched to try form my much postponed trip to ‘pick up’ a few airfields in SE England that I had always flown past, but never landed at. Basically, I planned to drop down to the south coast and land at Lydd, then on to Manston, scross the Thames estuary to Southend then along the ‘north London low-level route’ back to Gloucester, all in one day.

When I woke early, the worst news possible, FOG! I mean bad stuff. So I cursed and planned to scrub the day. I did a dump run of DIY detritus and noticed on the way back that it was starting to break, so back to pick up my gear and head off to the airfield. Sure enough, it was starting to lift and break, with METARS on the south coast reporting CAVOK.

I checked the plane and filled her up to the gunnels (as I was alone, I was well within W&B). The weather was now pretty good with minimal wind. I was up and away by 10:30. The route? EGBJ DCT GWC DCT SFD DCT EGMD, so straight line to the Goodwood VOR first. Then the next decision – under or over the clouds?

VMC on top

I decided to go on top at about 4400’ – I had to stay below 4500’ as there was a small lump of Category A airspace nearer the south coast and I didn’t want to upset anyone. I could still see the ground through the odd breaks as I spoke to Brize then Farnboro. No one else up here, so I had a quiet run. About 30 miles from the south coast, some of the clouds welled up to well above 5000’, so I had to do a little ’dinking’ around clouds looking for ‘cloud valleys’ to get through. Of course I could always go down through a ‘hole’ but where’s the fun in that? I found my way through and turned to run coastwise as I switched to Shoreham Approach.

South coast near Brighton

The clouds along the coast were a bit more problematic. The damned things were at 3000’. It was clearer out to sea, but as I didn’t pack a life jacket or life raft, I didn’t fancy that, so dropped and started dodging clouds. Approaching SFD VOR, I was down to 2300’ and still scraping my head on clouds.

I picked up the Lydd ATIS. Oh joy! Runway 03 in use, but the wind - -070 / 20kts! Oh crap! Quickm mental arithmetic, wind 50 degrees off, call it 45 degrees, so take 0.7 as the crosswind component, so a crosswind of, err, about 14kts. I would have laughed about that in any of the nosewheel aircraft I used to fly, but it was most certainly not a laughing matter in tailwheel aircraft, and a small and light one at that. This would be the most crosswind I had ever attempted in the RV, but I decided to give it a try and be ready to go around if there was anything I didn’t like.

Lydd and environs

I called for joining and was given a direct to 02 call at 5 miles. I did and continued to 2 miles, now down to 1500’ and sensibly slowed up. I pulled on the flaps at 1 mile and settled into the 70kt approach speed. Yes, the nose was nicely off to the right to track the extended centreline. I called for a spot wind, same as the ATIS.

Lydd airport

I flared on the numbers and kicked it straight at the same time applying opposite aileron and holding both in while pulling back at the same time. Stall warner blaring, hold off, more, not drifting – good! We touch as I continue to pull back to anchor the tailwheel while still holding aileron and dancing on the rudder to keep her straight on the roll out. Nothing dramatic, but I did feel the tail twitch a couple of times and was straight on it with rudder. Really didn’t touch the brakes, just let her roll. She was down to normal taxi speed well in time for me to make the turnoff to the left onto the old disused cross-runway. I parked up near the tower on Charlie apron and ran through the shut down checklist as the temperature in the cockpit soared under the bubble canopy while I sweated. I finished the close down checks and eagerly popped the canopy. Bliss – but hey, what a wind! I shot a glance at the windsock – Holy moley, did I just land in THAT! I had mixed emotions, one was that I was impressed with myself (sorry but it’s true – not trying to be big-headed!) and the other was me asking the question ‘Would I do circuits on a day like this at Gloucester with that crosswind’ and coming back with the answer ‘No way!’.

Did I really land in THAT!

Lydd calls itself ‘London Ashford’ – who are they kidding. The place was pretty empty. I had a friendly reception as I paid the modest £13.80 landing fee. I made my way to a huge cafĂ©. A few people there but not many. Had a quick cuppa and a snickers and had a wander around. Nice viewing area outside and friendly invitations to drop into the Lydd Flying Club, which I didn’t have time for.

Down and safe at Lydd!

Good pilot briefing facilities. I noted a golf course within easy walk from the airfield, but from the air it really does seem miles from anywhere. It was certainly windblown as I contemplated a lovely crosswind take-off while finishing my tea.

Next leg - Lydd to Manston.....