Saturday, June 07, 2008

Taking the 'War Department' flying!

It had to happen! The wife wanted a trip in my 'new' plane now that I had taken others up and not actually managed to kill them or myself!

Well, I had the plane booked for a local on Saturday afternoon and the weather was excellent. So of course I had to oblige. I was hoping to do a 'landaway', but as one of the other group members booked the plane after me, it didn't leave enough time, so a local it had to be.

She know how long the 'boring bit' takes as I check the aircraft out, book out etc. so brought a book and sat reading it in the hangar while I toiled away! I announced we were ready and she helped me manouevre the aircraft out of the hangar.

I gave her the safety brief, especially the harnesses and canopy opening - she knows the rest already, then away we went.

Gloucester were giving runway 36 with the wind 330 / 05 variable - fine. It is amazing how obsessed you get with the wind in a taildragger - when I flew nosewheels it was 'yeah whatever' unless it was howling a gale!

Mazzie gets comfy

And yes, it is a snug fit in an RV6 - she was chuckling at how cosy me and the neighbour must be (he is a bit bigger than the wife!).

Off we went on 36 with the aircraft skipping along happily, then flying itself off. Up to about 3800 and I followed my now 'time honoured' local route of the Malverns, Defford, Bredon Hill, Winchcombe, Gotherington then back in the Gloucester - with of course a few turns and steep turns thrown in for fun.

Somewhere over the Malverns

She is an excellent passenger, but wasn't going to take the stick any time soon.

Rejoining, we were still on 36 as I was given a standard overhead join. This was fine, but 36 is narrower than the other runways and the base to final leg heads straight for a hill, so it focuses the mind somewhat.

I was high (as I usually am on 36 for some reason), so side-slipped the height off. My wife has seen me do this before, so was not unduly alarmed by the aircraft sliding sideways.

Good approach gradiant now on short final with the required speed. Over the threshold and roundout. Fly level and back, back, back - no baloon and minimal crosswind. Stall warner chirping, now constant, back more and we touch and stay touched - whoppee - no bounce or hop! I see the wife give a 'startle reflex' as we land - it was a good landing, but the tailwheel makes it noisier and a bit bumpier than the Arrow or the Beech Bonanza she was previously used to - I guess I should have warned her. No matter, she is fine.

She enjoyed the flight and now has a feel for the plane and the touring I have planned withb her to France should go fine.

Another lovely flight. I really want to go touring or at least 'airfield collecting' next time - maybe Southend or Bournemouth, not been there yet.