Monday, May 19, 2008

Yet more locals!

Surprisingly, the aircraft wasn’t booked at all over the weekend, until that is it was booked late in the week for Saturday for its 25 hour service. Sunday was a great day weather-wise – sunny and warm with scattered ‘fair-weather cumulus’. Unfortunately, I had flown it on Friday evening and had to paint the front window. However, I did this in short order and my thoughts turned to flying again at about mid-afternoon. A quick check of the booking system showed it was booked for one hour between 16:00 and 17:00 with a note to say the person wasn’t going to fly, but just wanted to take the GPS unit out of the plane and home so he could program the flight plans for a coming trip.

Great, so I booked it for 2 hours from 17:15! I gave Mark, my neighbour a shout to see if he was interested in a local as he hasn’t flown in this plane yet (and I owe him a trip to the D-Day beaches). He was up for it, so we piled in the car and off for the 20 minute drive to the airfield.

We got there about 16:30 and there was no trace of the other group member and the GPS was still in place. No matter, I checked the plane over in the hangar then pulled it out onto the ramp. I gave Mark the safety brief, especially how the canopy releases and seat belts worked. It was approaching 17:00, but to while away the time, Mark and I watched someone at the pumps trying to ‘hand-prop’ start a biplane. He was having a few problems with a couple of trips to look under the engine covers and tinker. What surprised me was that he was doing all this without anyone in the cockpit (I thought it was a ‘golden rule’ to have someone competent at the controls?). I guess if I was a gentleman, I would have walked the 100 m or so and helped out? Well, he got it going eventually, but I suspect he was a bit hot and bothered.

Hmmmmm…..17:00 and still no show by the guy who wanted the GPS. I wasn’t certain how to remove it. Managed to pull it out, but it had a serial port connector (which I could easily take off) and a brass connector that looked like it was screwed in – well that was too much for me, so rather than tinker with something I wasn’t certain about, I refitted it and assumed it was a ‘no show’ by the earlier booking. Just in case, I left a note on the locker and booked the plane out.

Of course it needed more fuel, so we refuelled and added some 64 litres. By now it was 17:20. I checked the hangar and still no show by the other group member, so we mounted up and called for taxi clearance. It was runway 04, so off to B1 for 04 crossing 36.

I pointed out to Mark the restricted forward view while taxying and that I could just see forward without having to resort to weaving. We pulled up to B1 as I did the power checks. The plane was fine and all readings were as expected. I called ‘ready for departure’.

I had previously explained to Mark about the differences between taildraggers and the nosewheel aircraft he had previously flown with me in. I checked the windsock, minimal wind, maybe a little from the right, then I applied power, stick slightly forward of neutral to raise the tail. Tail up, modest dance on the pedals and the plane started to ‘skip’ happily along the runway – she was getting ready to fly. Ease back a bit and off she went, happily climbing away at 1000 fpm with two big guys and a decent fuel load. Mark was amazed at how little ground run it needed.

I flew straight ahead until past the noise-sensitive Staverton village (I kid you not, there is a lady there that sits outside with a clock and binoculars recording the registration of every aircraft that overflies the village and sends the list into the airfield as a noise complaint!), then set course to see if the Malverns were still there. We climbed to about 4000’ then set the plane up for the cruise as I allowed the speed to build, pulled the throttle back to cruise and leaned the mixture. This gave a very reasonable 23 lph and 135 kts airspeed.

I showed Mark a few normal turns then a few steep turns. He flies model aircraft, so has some idea of the forces involved and what is going on. I gave him the controls and he managed straight and level and some modest turns. He quickly adapted to the very sensitive controls and immediately declared it ‘like a fighter’.

We flew down the Wye Valley at 3000’ and checked that the two Severn bridges were still there – they were! Then we headed back to the airfield IFR (I Follow the River) up the Severn. I got the ATIS and called Gloster Approach overhead Lydney. They gave me a straight-in approach to long final for 04 and asked me to report at 4 miles.

Overhead the bends in the Servern, a helicopter called and reported at the same position as me. I didn’t catch his altitude, so asked Gloster – it was fine, he was only at 1000’ and shortly he reported visual with me.

I played with the GPS and for fun set ‘direct to’ Gloster – well, it would also give me the range so I could accurately report my 4 miles. I do find this unit not as easy as the Garmin 430’s I am used to, but I will have to get use to it I guess.

I had a cruise descent on, but was still pretty high. I reported 4 miles and was cleared to land – circuit not busy then! I was way high and fast, so power back and started side-slipping. This worked well as I unwound from the sideslip and brought the speed back by flying level with the throttle close. Once in flap limiting speed, dropped one stage of flap, then the second and set up for about 80 kts. Two mile final now. At one mile, brought the speed back to 70kts. Good altitude now with one pinky red and one white from the PAPI’s. Tower reported wind agreed with the windsock – 050 / 05 kts – almost perfect!

I had earlier briefed Mark on what to expect on landing and not only NOT to be alarmed if the stall warner went off before we touched, but to be alarmed if it didn’t – coz it would mean we could well bounce! Fortunately, he is an experience passenger and used to my dry humour!

Rounded out and flew level as she eased down. Gently back on the stick, back a bit more, a bit more, more yet….. chirp of the stall warner, back more, stall warner now constant, more yet and the wheels touch – and stay touched! Back more on the stick to nail the tailwheel – stick fully back, ride the landing roll with the pedals (not much needed and she slows to an easy taxi without any braking (I find I rarely use brakes with this aircraft, only really for engine start, occasional turns and power checks).

A good landing and again I say as much to Mark – not to brag, but to ‘condition his expectations’ for future landings in less than ideal conditions like today.

Taxi in and shut down. The other group member has turned up and is quite understanding that I took the plane after his booking slot. He shows me how to undo the GPS unit (which of course is simplicity itself) and heads off with it to program in his flight plans for a Scotland trip starting tomorrow.

Mark thoroughly enjoyed the flight and the handling of the aircraft. I remind him that he needs to come back to me with one or two weekends that he is free for this D-Day beaches trip so I can book the plane.

Well, another good flight in near ideal conditions. I am now looking forward to ‘breaking out’ of the local area. Maybe I should book a weekend for myself and the wife for one of my long overdue trips with her to one of the channel ports – this time either Etaples or Honfleur.