Monday, December 10, 2007

Canadian Licence

One of the things I want to do in 2008 is a few days touring in Canada / USA in the summer with my buddy. I know I could get a temporary certificate based on my JAA PPL, but as I go to Canada reasonably regularly, it makes sense to get a normal, full Transport Canada PPL.

After asking around on Flyer Forum and with Rockcliffe Flying Club in Ottawa, the ‘easiest’ for me would be to get the Canadian licence based on my FAA licence. I must stress at this stage that my FAA licence is a truly ‘standalone’ licence (as opposed to an FAA licence ‘based on’ the JAA licence). This is important, as you can only get a Canadian licence based on a completely standalone FAA licence.

After an email that pointed me in the right direction from the helpful CFI at Rockcliffe, a bit of scouring on the net in the Transport Canada website, revealed that I needed the following:

• Current, standalone FAA licence
• Minimum 45 hours flight time
• TCCA Category 3 medical certificate (medical exam and certificate)
• Complete form 26-0702 (D610-01) and deliver it in person (book appointment) with originals of FAA licence and medical, proof of name age and citizenship and pilot logbook
• Take and pass an FAA to Canadian air law exam (25 questions) – at an approved Transport Canada office (i.e. not the flight school)
• Pay $CAN55
• Wait 90 days for Canadian licence.

WOW! And they said this was the easy route! I’d hate to see the hard way!

Now the complications!

I am overdue for a BFR for my FAA licence and I have only just bought into a new group flying the RV6 taildragger. I don’t have taildragger sign-off, so I will be in training for this for a good few weeks yet, and I will be in Canada trying to nail all of this down in early February. Do an FAA check ride in Canada? No. So I booked both an aircraft and a UK based FAA instructor from Oxford in early January – strange plane, strange airport, strange instructor – piece of cake!

Oh, and I need a Canadian medical so I can get the medical number. I will be trying to cram too much in to do this in one day in Ottawa, so I booked myself in for a Transport Canada registered Doctor in the UK, an hours drive away in Leamington just before Christmas – yet another medical, oh goodie!

I have booked a date and time with a suitable Transport Canada office near Ottawa international airport for both the submission of the papers and to take the air law exam while I am there in February. Hopefully, I can get this done in two hours and not waste too much time hanging around.

Getting pretty stressed now!

Still, it should be worth it as I can then hire and fly touring around Canada.

I don’t suppose for one second that flying licences will ever be like driving licences – international around the world? Notwithstanding that driving in different countries is harder than flying in different countries (different sides of the road, different road signs and road law etc.).

Naaaahhhhhh!