Sunday, August 05, 2007

Big Trip 2007 - Lausanne to Le Touquet

2.6 hours logged
LSGL DCT YVERDON DCT RLP DCT CTL DCT LFAT

We had only planned to stay in Switzerland for two nights, departing early Thursday to go to Blois in the Loire Valley to see Chateau Chambord. The Wednesday in Switzerland was fantastic, warm and sunny with a clear sky and great visibility. When I checked the forecasts on the internet, I got conflicting views. The BBC said clear and sunny the next day, but Swiss Meteo said cloudy with thunderstorms. Our host said that it rarely ‘socked in’ for a day and that if there were storms, they often broke up quick with good weather or at least very large breaks between. So we decided to try for it. We contacted Blois and arranged customs clearance (as this was a prior notification airfield) the previous day.

Thursday dawned tipping down stair-rods with thunder and dramatic fork-lightning. Thinking this might break up, we got a lift to the airfield and waited. And waited and waited and waited.

I wanted a break with higher clouds and a clear view of the Jura ridge we had to cross. I probably saw this once, but with lightning still around and more low cloud about to roll through, there was no way I was even going to start prepping the plane, let alone take off.

I was astonished to see a small plane fly over the airfield not more than 1000’ above with lightning going off all around and I was hardly surprised to see him land 4 minutes later. I guess he was a local Swiss guy, but why he took off in the first place eludes me!

Thunder and lightning at Lausanne

By 12:30, if anything it was worse and rather than lose a whole day, we decided to give it up and hire a car and do our own thing. So that was the last part of the trip cancelled. I only had the plane booked for Friday (not Saturday) and had to have Dan back in the UK by Saturday at the latest for his Sunday flight back home, so re-planning was called for. I legged it out to the aircraft, only to be beaten back once out on the apron by frequent fork lightning all around and me realising what a great target I was all alone on a high airfield on a nice, flat apron!!

I planned a route back to ‘good old’ Le Touquet then on from there to Gloucester. By way of recompense for not staying in France, we thought we would have lunch in Le Touquet if the weather was OK. So I re-planned the route accordingly. Pretty much a straight line following VOR’s to the North West.

Next day, the weather was much better. Not brilliant sunshine, but cloud that was clear of the ridge anyway. I printed the weather off for Europe and the UK from the house on the internet (UK Metoffice site) and went to the airfield again. I paid up, and completed the customs departure form.

To file a flight plan, you have to use one of the two dedicated internet terminals permanently connected to the Austo-Swiss site. The logon and password are pasted onto the terminal and completing the flight plan was simplicity itself – why can’t we have this in the UK??

I checked the plane and emptied most of the water ballast as we were taking yet more goodies and Swiss wine back. I added 1 Qt of oil and carefully checked the fuel tanks for water several times from the fuel drains after the previous days downpour. Not a trace, how wonderful!

Again, Launsanne was operating like an uncontrolled airfield (only this time they mentioned it on the ATIS!). So I started up and taxied out. There was little wind, but take off was to be uphill on 36 (probably the preferred runway for noise abatement reasons). I gave the usual blind calls, did the power checks, checked the circuit and final approach track carefully and lined up on 36.

I started the take-off run and noted the manifold pressure was not as high as normal. I immediately realised that this was due to the pressure altitude, which while not that high, was clearly high and hot enough to affect this. I decided it was not pronounced enough for me to abort the run and try leaning for take-off so elected to continue – making a large mental note to think this carefully through beforehand next time!

Climb out from runway 36 at Lausanne

Heading uphill, I nursed the plane into the air with the odd ‘chirrup’ from the stall warner as I was keen to get the gear up to reduce drag (not too close to the ground mind you!). This had the desired effect and I was climbing away nicely.
I switched to Geneva Info who could again hardly conceal their lack of interest! After picking me up on my pronunciation of Yverdon (apparently it should be EEEE – VARE – DONN with an emphasis on ‘DONN’ – are all French speakers a pain in the butt like this?), they asked me to report at the Swiss border.

OK, I am going to have a rant! Why is it that French speakers insist on perfect grammar and pronunciation before they will deign to understand you? I spoke my very poor German in Germany and was usually rewarded with a charming smile and a nod of understanding and with them offering to speak English to put me out of my misery – the French? Oh No!!! Even Dan get a similar response – and French is his native language (OK, OK Quebecois), but really!! To be fair, the French in La Rochelle were an exception.

Up to 4500’ at Yverdon on the shores of Lake Neuchatel and spotted the airfield there. Climbed to 5000’ and spotted the same valley in the Jura that I came through, so let’s use that! Parts of the ridge had some scattered cumulus sitting on them (cumulus granitus!), but the bit I was aiming for was mercifully free of such entertainment. I squeezed through the valley and seven minutes later as the ground was dropping slowly away, crossed the border into France.

Crossing the Jura ridge

As the land dropped away, so too did the cloudbase. I had to descend to 3500’, then 3000’ then 2500’ bumping my head on the clouds. We chugged along at about 145kts airspeed and 155kts groundspeed according to the GPS and played my favourite airborne version of ‘knock knock, ding-a-ling, cheers’ by seeing who could spot the airfield first – my how the time flies!

I spoke initially to Reims Info on 124.10 then past RLP to Paris Info on 126.10. Both of whom were very helpful.

It was a nice, easy run and we were soon in the Champagne district with loads of fields of vines everywhere and large, imposing chateaus.

French chateau in the Champagne region

With 25 miles to run, the weather improved and I could see ahead to the coast that it was clear skies – WOO HOOO!. So I contacted Le Touquet – HORROR! The dreaded female controller was on!!

They were busy, I’ll grant you. But she was up to her old tricks of unnecessary and detailed parking instructions and other trivia, clogging up the airwaves so few people could get a word in. Mind you, some of the pilots on frequency need to listen out and pick up their calls first time, that added to the congestion.
Runway 32 was in use and I was approaching on what was a very long final. She helpfully asked me to hold at 10 miles for an extended final approach – fine by me, that’s what I was hoping for. So I took up right hand orbits. I did about three and with Dan starting to look a little green, finally got a call from her asking me where I was (thinks.... where you left me – where do you think!). I replied I was orbiting at 10 miles and she directed to me approach and report at 3 miles. This I did and got a straight to final approach.

The town of Etaples on short final at L2K - must visit there sometime!  Maybe with Martin?

Made a good approach and landing, taxied and parked up. No customs, no hassle as we got a taxi into town for a stroll and a nice pavement lunch at one of the many cafes in town. Bought yet more wine and chocolate (for the wife you understand!) and headed back to the plane about 15:30 local in glorious sunshine.

MMmmmmmmmm.....Wine......

So, small recompense for missing out on Blois and the Loire Valley (note to self – I need to do a serious tour of the various towns and airfields in the Loire Valley). Le Touquet really is a very nice town and well worth a visit in it’s own right and not simply to get the charade of clearing customs over with then dash on to your destination.

So disappointing not to make Blois, but I was worried about getting out of Switzerland. I certainly wasn’t going to chance anything with thunderstorms about. Having said that, without a full IR (I am IMC only), that is what touring in Europe means, go for it, but give yourself flexibility to deal with the weather.