Thursday, July 19, 2007

Canada Dan's third 'official' lesson

Some of the Flyer Forum guys will remember the 'larger than life' Canada Dan. He was a regular flying companion with me and a very good 'auto-pilot'. When he went back to Canada, I bought him an introductory flying lesson at his local airport in Ottawa, Canada. Well he finally got around to taking this flight and I couldn't resist publishing his email here.

Wow! That was really awesome! Nice day with lots of huge white clouds, some bursting into rain. I told the instructor, young man in his mid 20s, that I had some experience flying before in the UK and Europe. He had a quick look at the two entries in my pilot log book and seemed puzzled at the unusual entries... circuit flying and aerobatics! Still, it seemed to be enough for him to let me take the controls from the time we sat in the plane until we returned from this "intro" flight.

I must admit when he told me to taxi to the departure point and get the plane into the wind for system checks, I became a bit nervous. I had only once before touched the brake pedals and I didn't want him to know that I was unfamiliar with them. I also quickly found out why you always had an easier time than me to swivel the plane around, much easier when you are in control of the brakes.

VQQR C-172 was identical to GBRI you took out in December, so that helped me a little. I knew where the throttle, trim and flaps were and also remembered there were no variable pitch prop. So I think I was confusing him further because of the little experience in the log book, but still seemed to know my way around the cockpit.

So it is with full throttle and slight pressure on the right rudder that I initiated my 30 minute flight over Ottawa and the Gatineau hills. I rotated at 55 kts and maintained a climbing speed of 70 kts as instructed by Andrew. I did remember what you told me about the Cessna... it wants to take off on it's own with sufficient velocity.. and I did notice it as I hardly touched the yoke and off the ground we were. I started to turn right immediately after take-off as I still had my foot on the right rudder, but that was ok because this was normal protocol to avoid flying over local residences... so again, it just looked like I was doing all the right things.

"Aim for those smoke stacks and climb to 1700ft"... this is when I started to realize he was going to let me fly the whole way and already, my mind was starting to go through circuit and landing motions... well, the ones I saw you go through, over and over again. Then we went port side toward Meach lake, and always wanting to impress him, I initiated a 30 degree turn, leading with left rudder while staying level. Again, I surprised the crap out of myself because the turn seemed so smooth and level. Andrew wasn't saying much at this point [Steve - were his eyes bulging from the suppressed scream in his throat?] other than pointing out some scenic landmarks (lakes, ridges etc.).

We climbed to 3000ft then turned back East heading for the airport. Descended back to 1700ft where we flew over the runway to check for circuit traffic as this is an uncontrolled runway (don't remember exact term). One plane in the circuit on base, so there wasn't much to worry about at this point... well, maybe worrying a bit about what was coming next. "I want you to turn right and descend to 1200ft". As I was descending 500ft and doing a 30deg starboard turn and leveling while in turn, I said to Andrew: "descending, leveling in a turn while getting ready to land, can I do anything else?" I guess my way of saying: bring it on! I can handle it.

By this time, I'm on a high and filled with anticipation. I know what's coming next as we are turning downwind. I heard his downwind radio announcement then he starting going through the "breaks, undercarriage, mix, pump, fuel etc..." and I knew next turn was base and flaps were next. "10 deg flaps he said". So I reached over without really looking at the switch and lowered it one notch. He didn't say anything so I assumed that was 10 degs. "Another 10" he asked and we are turning right for final.

A million things are going through my head at this point... I kept hearing your voice saying "picture, picture, picture" and I kept reminding myself that "throttle controls the altitude and the yoke speed". I kept the plane at 70 kts, as requested and the picture was right. I mean, it was dead on! Beginner's luck I guess. Over runway 27 markings (yes, same as Gloucester), I started to pull, maybe a bit early as I felt a bit of flaring... oops. But the Andrew said that's fine, "just hold and try to prevent the plane from touching ground" - Where did I hear that before? ;-)

No stall warnings, but a landing straight in the middle of the runway, which felt awesome! Grinning from ear to ear, I asked the instructor if at any time he felt worried to have given full controls to someone with almost no experience... he said that I have "a "knack for it, especially not having flown for over a year". I realize that he has to say that to try to get me into spending a few bucks at the club [Steve - No, really, I think you do - you are a lot more 'natural' than me]. Nevertheless, I still think I did extremely well... all thanks to you, Steve!

Yesterday, was like everything was coming together, from the take-off to the flying around to the landing. What a feeling!!! All I need now, is a few bucks to complete the training.

Steve, thanks for the wonderful gift.

My pleasure, glad you enjoyed it buddy. See you Saturday and I look forward to our flying trip at the end of July!