Sunday, January 21, 2007

Group Trek - The search for Spock

Well I am on the trail for a group share in a suitable touring Aircraft and this is my story so far.

I was really interested in the RV6 at Gloucester. Following a recent round-the-world flight in the aircraft, Manual Querioz was offering 1/6 shares. A two seat, permit taildragger and a ‘hot ship’ to boot (150 kts). Could be just the job. So I met up with Manuel and had a look around the aircraft. It would certainly be ‘snug’ but do-able. The range would be excellent, the running costs very little. But the big question was, could it take the weight of me (200 lbs) and my buddy (250 lbs)? A quick dabble with the spreadsheet said yes, but only if I took 20 minutes of fuel. The strange thing was that the aircraft was cleared to a higher MAUW with a single pilot than with dual occupancy. If I could have used the higher single MAUW, it would have worked. With great regret, I had to let my head rule my heart and turn this one down.

I trekked over to Bidford to see if any shares were available. Only 10 minutes further away for me than Gloucester and likely to be cheaper for hangarage etc. When I got there the place was deserted and the airfield closed due to water-logging – matbe not such a great base! In the clubhouse was a single notice for a very nice Robin DR400. ¼, built in 2002 and all the toys. Downside was a whopping £30,000 share cost. Perfect plane, airfield probably OK, but eeekkk! The cost!!!

I am resisting looking at Kemble as it is 40 minutes away and that starts to become a bind.

There is a Piper Seneca going at Gloucester. 1/6th for £10,000. Thought briefly about this, but no – two lots of fuel – think of the hourlies! All that for a mere 150 kts to boot. No, too much like hard work – a single it is for me.

There are of course other shares going at Gloucester. One for a PA28 (not sure whether it’s a Warrior or Archer). But it is for 1/10 and that isn’t group ownership for me, it’s a ‘buy in deposit’ on a ‘club aircraft’.

So the favourites are two quite different aircraft where groups are forming where the aircraft is currently 100% owned by the current pilot trying to form the group.

One is a 1964 Cessna 172 with a recent excellent paint job and a low hours engine. It has a VFR instrument fit though. Looking at ¼ to 1/6 for the group and fairly and reasonably priced. A bit of a come down from the Arrow and not my ideal tourer. I think I would also miss the IFR / IMC option that my IMC rating allows.

The other is a 1959 (yes!) Beech Bonanza (V-tail). It has a good paint job, looks very well maintained, has a low hour engine and an excellent avionics fit. Great performance and in many ways an ideal tourer (apart from a four seat permit type that is). Selling ¼. The snag is the initial cost over the top end of my budget and the monthlies won’t be great. That said, the monthlies aren’t a huge amount more than I was paying with the old group. The hourlies are more, but then it is 150 kts as against 130 kts for the Arrow, so I’ll get there that bit quicker.

I’m going to have to have a serious think about this one. It’s a three-way fight – head vs heart vs wallet.

Anyone giving odd as to who will win?