Thursday, June 08, 2006

I'm not flying on business anymore!

I had to be in East Anglia today on business and as it is an awkward car journey, I thought I would fly if the weather was good enough. Sure enough, the predictions last night were perfect. High pressure all over England and a glorious sunny day predicted. Just to make sure, I set the alarm for a time where I could re-check the weather and if necessary still drive and get there.

Checked the 215 in the morning and again – clear skies all round. No point in calling the destination airfield as they wouldn’t be open just yet, so off to the airfield I went a very happy and smug bunny!

The plane was pulled out by the fire crew, fully fuelled and ready to go. I did the customary and thorough A-check and no problems there. Booked out. Lateral visibility a bit hazy, probably as the sun burns the moisture off, so I figure I’ll go to FL40 and maybe get above any inversion.

I start up, taxi out and am airborne by 08:30 and headed for Peterborough / Conington via DTY. I speak to Brize Radar and Coventry Approach en-route. As I pass the M1 heading towards Sywell, I can see cloud below me. Blast. Never mind, I’ll do a cruise descent and orbit here to lose height so I can get below the clouds for the last 30 miles to Conington. I am down to 1600’ but the clouds still seem a lot further down – them’s ain’t clouds! them’s fog lifting into low cloud! Oh B*ll*cks!

Nevertheless, I proceed at 1700’ to Conington, hoping (as once happened top me) for a cloud break or at least a local observation from Conington. I get through to Conington who give 2 km visibility and an unknown cloud base. I decide to go in the soup and try to 1000’. This I do near the airfield heading in the direction of their runway 28, but absolutely no chance at 1000’ so I climb back up and ponder. Looks pretty solid further east even though Conington said the last person to try this a few minutes earlier diverted to Fenland. I can’t see how Fenland will be any different, so divert back in the direction of Sywell. I climb to 3000’ and head to Sywell while considering my options.

I decide I don’t really have any as the meeting is in an hour an nothing is close enough to allow me to make it. So I ‘divert’ all the way back to my point of origin at Gloucester. I climb to FL40 and route via DTY. Although I was getting a FIS and had a squawk, very near to the VOR, I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye and just spotted a big twin crossing underneath right to left. Hard to say how far below, but thankfully not so close that new underpants are required. I also hear another aircraft (or was it a helicopter) on his way back to Gloucester also having to abandon Lincolnshire for the same reasons,

I pick up the ATIS for Gloucester and they are on 36. Coming in, I call at 4 miles at 2000’ as requested and am warned of opposite direction traffic – a twin on instrument go-around from a nearby well known training school. While Gloucester are briefing the twin on the radio, I spot him climbing towards me but off to my right and no conflict, so I waggle my wings to show I had seen him. The twin then bravely tells Gloucester that he is visual and turning to avoid. Well, no he wasn’t and he didn’t turn, I saw him first and we weren’t close enough to need to take any avoiding action - but hey! he sure did sound professional and heroic didn't he!

Anyway, I am given a downwind join for 36, call final and land on 36. Not one of my better landings, but adequate. I find myself distracted by the need for a weather diversion and the ‘heroic twin’ preying on my mind. What they say is true, forget about what‘s happened and concentrate on what is going to happen!

I land feeling pretty frustrated and realise that I won’t be flying anymore today, not in this frame of mind. I cheer myself up with a bacon baguette (hang the calories) and do some retail therapy in Transair and buy a north of England map (I really must use that one day!).

It really goes to show that the weather can’t be trusted. A couple of weeks ago, a look at the forecast would have convinced me that the Flyer Safari was a no-hoper, but I gave it a go and it was OK, not great, but not as miserable as forecast. Today the forecast could not have been better, but I was defeated by the greatest enemy of all, fog and very low cloud. Who would have thought it.

It really isn't bullsh*t - you really never do stop learning!