Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Circuits

Well, the Flyer Forum trip to Aprillia (south of Rome) draws near. I am due off on Friday 19th May, but most are setting out on Saturday - so of course the long-range weather forecasts are grim. But one thing you learn in the UK is not to pay much attention until one or two days beforehand and even then, have a look first thing in the mnorning on the actual day! Pray to the weather gods!

So I decided to give the plane a good and very thorough check and stow most of the stuff I will need so that I won't need to do much on Friday, since I don't think anyone in the group will take it out in the next two days.

Just to brush off the cobwebs, I thought I would throw in a few circuits to see how the aircraft felt. There was only one other aircraft in the circuit, but this was a student with an instructor who seemed determined to fly virtually outside the ATZ. I took off behind the small Cessna and tried hard not to 'chew it up' all the way around, but my approach speed is faster and I ended up pretty close with a late clearance to land. Gloucester Tower suggested I ran my second circuit tight and cut inside the Cessna, which I was about to request - thanks lads!

Once clear of the Cessna I flew my normal circuits, but by the fourth circuit, there I was back up with the Cessna again! On my last landing I was given a land-after and was happy to accept this. The last landing was the best, quite good though I say so myself. We were all students once but I do wonder when instructors allow students to fly circuits in an otherwise empty pattern up to 2 n. miles from the airfield - when I was a student (not so long ago) my instructors always taught me to try to fly circuits within glide landing distance of the airfield and certainly never outside the ATZ. I understand the circuit expanding with four or five in, but when there are only two??

Well, both myself and the plane are ready for the 'big trip' now, just a 'wait and see' if the weather plays ball.